New coding project – metaedit – started


Image representing GitHub as depicted in Crunc...
Image via CrunchBase

I have started writing a MetaPost editor – metaeditpostmeta – which is on Github.

I am not sure how much time and effort I will be able to devote to it, but hopefully I will produce something somebody (even if it is just me) can use.

Yesterday I discovered someone had written a DSL with Haskell to generate MetaPost output – and so maybe I could do something similar using Groovy, but to commit myself to that would be a step too far for now.

Still, it is good to be writing some code again.

Going to have to try eclim


MacVim icon, glossy style
Image via Wikipedia

For my MSc project I made heavy use of the Eclipse IDE to write various Groovy programs that took an XML input and output an SVG (of course SVG is XML also, but I hope you understand).

Groovy was a great choice as, while not as fast as C, for instance, it was easy to write something that could hack XML and SVG – all I had to worry about was the algorithm as much of the infrastructure for handling the file formats was to hand.

And Eclipse made perfect sense as the IDE as it had good Groovy support.

But my problem was I am a VIM user most of the time and so there was more than one time when I had to go back and clean up the :w mess I had left behind.

Now, it seems, there may be a solution to hand – eclim – which allows me to use VIM in Eclipse and vice versa. I will try it in the next few days and see how I get on.