At the end of John Le Carre’s Smiley’s People George Smiley is congratulated for having triumphed in his life’s struggle with Karla, the eminence grise of the KGB and told “George, you won”, to which the British spymaster, perhaps shamed by his need to adopt his opponent’s tactics of threat to the innocent replies “Did I?”
It feels a bit like that this weekend when I look back what is surely Microsoft’s humbling in the face of Android’s triumph. (I don’t claim to be any sort of central figure in this – I just mean I know we have won, but I don’t know what we have won given the compromises required to secure victory).
Free software made the victory possible – but the freedom that counted was the ‘as in beer’ one: Linux proved to be a cheaper platform for the hardware manufacturers to use. I do not detect any greater public understanding of the ideas of the free software movement than a decade ago – even if so many of the old arguments against its use have been killed by the onrushing Android juggernaut.
Indeed, the fact that Apple, whose business model is even more fundamentally hostile to free software than that of Microsoft, are doing so well suggests that no sort of ideological battle has been won at all – for so many consumers it is “shiny thing make it all better” (and Apple do do a fine line in shinnies).
And the site of the great battles of the past – the desktop – has become something hardly worth fighting over. Windows 8 stinks – I replaced it on one of my daughter’s computers with Ubuntu recently – but I suspect what has made it such a turkey for Microsoft is not the tiny numbers who, like me, are getting rid of it, but the falling sales of desktops and laptops in the developed world’s markets.
- Why I use Linux and why you should consider it too (readmystuff.wordpress.com)
- Microsoft’s purchase of Nokia’s Smartphone Business – Too Little, Too Late? (shawnmoodie.wordpress.com)
- Microsoft Nick and Gaming of Slashdot: The Rise of the Anti-Linux Slashdot (techrights.org)
- Rescue My Old Computer (gasman74.wordpress.com)
- Linux Wins (winlund.wordpress.com)
- MeeGo Outlives Nokia, Which Dies With Microsoft (techrights.org)
- How to Install Microsoft Office on Linux (howtogeek.com)
- Linux vs. Windows (techosolutions.wordpress.com)
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré (veritygreen.wordpress.com)