Maybe if I had a blog that was visited by tens of thousands every day and on which hundreds wanted to comment it would not be so easy, but “comment spam” is not a problem here – anything which the algorithmic spam filter does not pick up can be chucked out by hand.
But in recent weeks I have seen a new form of blog spamming – “like spamming” against which WordPress seem to have given me no protection. Spammers – usually they are SEO snake oil sellers or link farmers – come here and like a post – that gives them an automatic link back to their blog.
I don’t want to discourage anyone who genuinely likes my blog – but let me warn the spammers. From this point onwards spam-like likes will see your blog reported to WordPress.com as spam.
- WordPress: protect your blog against spam without taxing plugins (ghacks.net)
- Comments and spam (geekken.blogspot.com)
- SPAM (a LOT)… (buzzmills.typepad.com)
- A Peek Behind the Spammy Curtain (booksnobbery.wordpress.com)
- I Hate Spam! (dickstersrandomthoughts.com)
- Comment Spam Round 18 (insideview.ie)