A group reportedly funded by oil and coal interests in the United States has launched a truly shocking attempt to stop a noted and respected climate scientist from delivering a lecture because they say his views are “extreme” and part of a “radical agenda”.
In reality the views of Michael E. Mann are consensus science and the claim by the mysterious “Common Sense Movement” that Mann is a “disgraced academic” would probably be a good start for a defamation action if they were organised from the UK: because they are lies put around by liars.
Happily Penn State is refusing to buckle to the campaign as someone with an interest in science I just wanted to post my support for that.
As always the bottom line is that scientific truth is not democratic. If people do not like it that is their problem.
- Coal-Powered PAC Runs Harassment Campaign Against Climate Scientist Michael Mann (desmogblog.com)
- Coal-Powered PAC Runs Harassment Campaign Against Climate Scientist Michael Mann (thinkprogress.org)
- A Shameful Attack on Free Speech by a Group Claiming to Speak for Coal-Dependent Workers (dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com)
- In the front lines of the “climate wars” (openparachute.wordpress.com)
- Climate Denial Thugs: Threats Against Climate Scientists Commonplace (climatecrocks.com)
- Comment On The Scientific American Interview By David Biello Titled “Michael Mann Defends Climate Computer Models” (pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com)
- The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars [Greg Laden’s Blog] (scienceblogs.com)
- Defending Climate Scientists (motherjones.com)