His strops and sulks about Linus Torvalds should not blind us to the fact that he does have a serious and valid point when he insists that what most people call “Linux” should really be called “GNU/Linux”.
But he would also seem to be a man without much of a sense of irony because he has used the propaganda channel funded and founded by the Kremlin, Russia Today (RT), to launch an attack on Facebook as an enemy of Freedom.
RT has marketed itself, in Britain at least, as the channel of choice for conspiracy nuts, the enemies of science and “truthers”. Hardly a surprise when its paymasters in the Kremlin are desperate to hold off any advances towards democracy in Russia and remain the last line of defence of the Syrian and Iranian dictatorships in the international arena.
Shame on you Richard Stallman.
(The interview with RT was conducted over a month ago but as you can guess I am not a regular viewer and it just turned up in the “CodeProject” email this morning.)
- Free software founder, Richard M. Stallman is glad Jobs is gone | ZDNet (trutherator.wordpress.com)
- richard stallman and free software as a social movement (orgtheory.wordpress.com)
- General Purpose Computation, Open Source, and Maybe Richard Stallman was Right (biverson.com)
- Richard M Stallman’s seminar at KSR College of Arts & Science, Tiruchengode, TamilNadu (goinggnu.wordpress.com)
- Richard Stallman: Facebook does massive surveillance (zdnet.com)
- Richard Stallman and John McCarthy (andrewgelman.com)
- If there was a computing bill… no Stallman, no GNU, no Linux too? (uppercaise.wordpress.com)