Done and dusted

Standard
MenuCOnfig

Image via Wikipedia

I submitted my MSc project report yesterday, so that is it, at least for now, as a computer science student.

The report was on “applying working set heuristics to the Linux kernel“: essentially testing to see if there were ways to overlay some elements of local page replacement to the kernel’s global page replacement policy that would speed turnaround times.

The answer to that appears to be ‘no’ – at least not in the ways I attempted, though I think there may be some ways to improve performance if some serious studies of phases of locality in programs gave us a better understanding of ways to spot the end of one phase and the beginning of another.

But, generally speaking, my work showed the global LRU policy of the kernel was pretty robust.

I find out how I did in November.

Need to find some other programming task now. Mad bit of me suggests getting engaged with GNU Hurd. Though mucking about with Android also has an appeal.