I am having a particularly bad day with the MSc project report – finding it difficult to motivate myself to write more and unconvinced the examiners will be impressed by my work – so maybe I should not dwell on this, but it is interesting, so what the hell.
Computer science, it can feel, is not taken quite seriously by other scientists – or indeed, by the world in general. Perhaps that explains the low level of graduate employment for those with computer science degrees (or perhaps the graduates explain why others do not take it quite as seriously as other scientific disciplines?). Or maybe it is to maths as engineering is to physics – insufficiently pure and for the artisan and not the gentleman?
The particular combination of incompetence and arrogance that characterizes much of what Naughton calls “bad refereeing” always stings when you are on the receiving end, although after a while it can be retrospectively funny; one day I will publish some of my own inventory, collected over the years. As a preview, here are two comments on the first paper I wrote on Eiffel, rejected in 1987 by the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (it was later published, thanks to a more enlightened editor, Robert Glass, in the Journal of Systems and Software, 8, 1988, pp. 199-246 ). The IEEE rejection was on the basis of such review gems as:
- I think time will show that inheritance (section 1.5.3) is a terrible idea.
- Systems that do automatic garbage collection and prevent the designer from doing his own memory management are not good systems for industrial-strength software engineering.
- Back when women were over a third of computer scientists (computinged.wordpress.com)
- Better hurricane prediction now than before (amanwithaphd.wordpress.com)
- How Scientists Are Predicting the Path of Hurricane Irene – And Why We’re Better At It Than Ever Before | 80beats (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Meet A ‘Change Agent’ for Smarter, Efficient Telecommunications Who Is Mentoring Future Scientists [USA Science and Engineering Festival: The Blog] (scienceblogs.com)
- Introducing Carlos Hernandez (english414fall2011.wordpress.com)
- Computer science: the worst degree? (cartesianproduct.wordpress.com)
- Birkbeck (cartesianproduct.wordpress.com)
- British IT Education (broadstuff.com)