I am all in favour of using marketing techniques to improve science education. But the garbage that has been talked about the so-called “supermoon” really is shaming: scientists who popularised this idea plainly did not bother too much with the mundane, such as the fact that we are that close to the Moon every 28 days.
Read the guff in the HuffPost below for an example of how people have been left misinformed. (NB as one of the bloggers linked to below seems not to know what HuffPost means, mea culpa, it is the “Huffington Post” article linked to below – I am not making a general criticism of the articles linked here, but of that specific one)
- Watch Supermoon Pictures and Videos (techie-buzz.com)
- Supermoon PHOTOS: Moon Makes Close Encounter (huffingtonpost.com)
- 10 Excellent Supermoon Photos (mymodernmet.com)
- “‘Supermoon’ rises” and related posts (goerie.com)
- Supermoon (billsipe.wordpress.com)